two-storeyed hewn stone dungeon was built, during
the Ottoman era, on the ruins of
the old Royal Palace .
Namik Kemal (1840-1888), a distinguished nationalist poet and novelist, spent his thirty-eight months in this
dungeon when he was sent into exile by the Ottoman Sultan on April 9th 1873 soon after the
first performance of his play 'Vatan or Silistre' at Gedik Pasha Theatre in
Istanbul on April 1,
The ground floor, with only one vaulted cell is in the shape of a rectangle and it
has low arched entrance door which opens on to the courtyard of the Venetian Palace as
well as the two windows in the same wall.
When Namik Kemal came to Famagusta, he first stayed at the
ground floor, but after a while
he was taken to the second storey with the permission of the Cyprus Governor, Veysi
The steep stone stairs at the side of the building take you to the rectangular second
storey which has two large windows, a landing in the front, a marble floor and a timbered
After having been forgiven by Murat V. on June 3rd 1876, Namik Kemal returned to
Istanbul on June 29th 1876.
Restoration of the Namik Kemal Dungeon and Museum was started at the beginning of 1993 and
completed it within a short period of six months. Organization of the museum was made with
the collaboration of the Ministry of Education and
of the poet in the main square (named after him) in Famagusta
of the building where the poet stayed during his exile in Famagusta
view of Namik Kemal Dungeon & Museum