two-storeyed hewn stone dungeon, Namik Kemal stayed in while he
was exiled in Famagusta, was built inside the ruins of the old
Venetian Palace in Famagusta. The groundfloor, with only one
vaulted cell, is in the shape of a rectangle and it has low
arched entrance door which
opens on to the courtyard of the Venetian Palace as well as the
two windows in the same wall.
Namik Kemal came to Famagusta, he first stayed on the
groundfloor, but after a while he was taken to the second storey
with the permission of the Governor of Cyprus, Veysi Pasha.
steep stone stairs at the side of the building take you to the
rectangular second storey which has two large windows, a landing
in the front, a marble floor and a timbered ceiling. Upon an
amnesty by Sultan Murat V. on June 3rd 1876, Namik Kemal
returned to Istanbul on June 29th 1876.
going through a careful restoration by the Department of
Atiquities’ Planning and Restoration Department (in
collaboration with the Department of Culture), Namik Kemal
Dungeon Museum opened at the beginning of 1993 .