is one of the two original gates of the walled city. It was built by the
Venetian Captain of Famagusta, Nicola Prioli in 1496.
The wooden gate covered with
iron, dates from the Turkish period and the large iron portcullis which could be
raised and lowered by chains dates from the Venetian era.
Above the gate stand
the winged Lion of Venice, the name of Captain Nicola Prioli with his
coat-of-arms and the date of 1496, carved on marble. This marble is thought to
have been brought from Salamis. By the inner side of this gate
there is a lion made of marble.
del Mare in 1927
del Mare in 1930s